Mylanthanai massacre accused make statements from dock

[TamilNet, Tuesday, 05 November 2002, 18:20 GMT]
All eighteen accused soldiers of the Sri Lanka Army (SLA) Tuesday made statements from the dock in the Colombo High Court (HC) in the Mylanthanai massacre case denying their involvement in the crime. The case is being heard daly from 2nd October before a Sinhala speaking Jury at the request of the accused, who are also Sinhalese.

When the inquiry resumed Tuesday before the High Court Judge Mr.S.Sriskandarajah, the Judge asked the defence whether the accused wanted to give evidence from the witness box or to make statement from the dock. The Judge added that the accused would not be subjected to cross-examination if they preferred to make statement from the dock. If the accused desired to give evidence from the witness box then they are liable for cross examination, the Judge pointed out.

The defence counsel informed court that the accused preferred to make statements from the dock thus avoiding cross-examination by the prosecution and by the Attorney-at-Laws for the aggrieved parties.

In their statements, the accused denied that they were involved in the killing of civilians on the day of incidents. The accused said on the day of incident they heard sounds of gun fire from the direction of Mylanthanai. They said that superiors had warned them to be prepared to counter any attacks by the LTTE and that they never ventured outside the camp on the day of the incident. Denying all charges against them, the accused said they have been falsely implicated in the case.

The prosecution closed its case on Friday last week. The prosecution will start addressing the Jury Wednesday followed by the defense. The Jury is expected to give their verdict after the Judge addresses them, court sources said. The trial is expected to come to an end next week

Since the start of the trial all the accused who were earlier on bail were kept in remand on the orders of the High Court Judge.

The accused have been indicted by the Attorney General on eighty-nine counts including the murder of thirty-five Tamil civilians and causing injuries to twenty others at Mylanthanai a village in the Batticaloa district on August 9, 1992. This massacre took place following the killing of Major General Hector Hobbekaduwa and seven other senior high-ranking military officials in a landmine attack at Jaffna on August 9 the same year.

President Counsel Daya Perera is appearing for the accused. With the prosecution Attorney-at-Law K.S.Ratnavelu and S.Shanmugalingam are representing the relatives of those killed and the injured.

 

Latest 15 Reports
23.09.17 09:46   Photo
Tamil children massacred by CBK's Sinhala Air Force remembered in Jaffna
22.09.17 23:32   Photo
Sinhala colonisation stepped up, genocidal system cannot be transformed through ‘consensus’
21.09.17 22:14   Photo
Champoor Tamils’ security, livelihood threatened by US military partnership with genocidal Sri Lanka
20.09.17 23:37   Photo
Sathasivam papers on Sumerian-Tamil connections see the light of day
19.09.17 22:53  
Tamil village in Batticaloa-Polonnaruwa border Sinhalicized by Mahaweli authority, Survey Dept
18.09.17 18:18   Photo
Uprooted people find houses destroyed by SL Navy in Ira'nai-theevu after 2008
17.09.17 22:07  
Muslims oppose Colombo's ‘Sinhala-only’ policy in public administration of Ampaa'rai
16.09.17 23:49  
Families of enforced disappeared want answers, no deceptive bills to genocidal system
15.09.17 23:30   Photo
30th remembrance of Lt Col Thileepan strengthens resolve among Eezham Tamils
14.09.17 22:52   Photo
Sirisena’s Mahaweli ministry twists old records to Sinhalicize Paduvaankarai
13.09.17 16:39  
EPRLF opposes 20A to SL Constitution, ITAK duo wrongs again says Premachandran
12.09.17 23:17   Photo
Alienate lands to Sinhala colonists or face transfer: SL Governor warns Tamil DS in Vanni
11.09.17 12:10  
Risking legal action, Hakeem wants to transfer lands to Hizbulla’s colony in Batticaloa
10.09.17 23:24   Photo
Uprooted fishermen vow to continue their fight for Pa'l'li-munai in Mannaar
09.09.17 23:29  
Mano Ganesan’s NGO Secretariat restricts freedom of organisation in Batticaloa
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=7771